About People & Planet
People & Planet…
We’re a student-led movement that empowers young people with the skills, confidence and knowledge they need to make change happen, at home and globally. Over the years, student activists have:
- helped 1,200 Honduran workers get their jobs back following the world’s largest ever garment boycott
- forced the education sector to take climate change seriously, driven by the People & Planet University League
- made the 3rd largest UK pension fund, USS, the first to publish an ethical investment policy following our Ethics for USS campaign
- helped secure the world’s first Climate Change Act and organised the UK’s largest ever climate demonstration
- got the G8 to pledge 100% access to HIV/AIDS treatment
- forced the UK government to cancel $88bn of developing country debt as key members of the Jubilee 2000 campaign
Founded in 1969, we have over forty years experience of supporting student activism and global citizenship. People & Planet trains and supports over 2000 volunteers in campaigning groups at schools, colleges and universities across Britain. Our campaigns engage and empower over 20,000 young people to take positive action for social and environmental justice each year.
Our cutting-edge campaigns are democratically chosen and implemented by the members of our student network and elected students on our Board of Trustees keep us independent, original and effective.
We have one of the smallest budgets of any national campaigning organisation in the UK yet we consistently punch above our weight in terms of impact and profile. You can join our FAN Club members by giving a small monthly donation to help keep us independent, radical and student-led.
People & Planet’s student-led campaigns and inspiring national events are, for thousands of young people and students each year, the formative experience of active citizenship and campaigning.