Fossil Free Commitments
This page lists the commitments made by UK education institutions to pursue fossil fuel divestment:
You can also view a list of other institutions that have committed to divest internationally here
People & Planet has been campaigning on the root causes and solutions to climate change since 1997 and had various campaign victories.
Universities & colleges committed to pursuing fossil fuel divestment
So far 26 UK universities have committed to divest from fossil fuels in some form. These commitment cover endowment wealth of over £10.4bill.
Oct 2014 – Glasgow University commits to fully divest £18mil from fossil fuel companies over the next 10 years.
Jan 2015 – University of Bedfordshire put in policy to not invest in any fossil fuel companies.
Mar 2015 - SOAS, University of London commits to fully divest £1mil from fossil fuel companies over the next 3 years and VC calls on other universities to divest.
April 2015 - Queen Margaret University commits to fully divest it’s £45mil endowment from all fossil full companies.
May 2015 – University of Oxford campaign gets a partial victory with the announcement that they don’t directly invest in coal and tar-sands as it is unethical.
May 2015 – Two victories with London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine committing to divesting from coal companies and Edinburgh University committing to divesting from coal and tar-sands companies in the next 6 months after a high profile student occupation in response to an initial decision to engage rather than divest.
Aug 2015 - University of Warwick commits to fully divest £1mil from fossil fuel companies over the next year.
Oct 2015 – Four Victories with University of the Arts London fully divesting it’s £3.9mil from fossil fuels, University of Surrey committing to fully divest it’s £42mil endowment from all fossil fuels, Wolfson College Oxford committing to divest it’s £42mil endowment from coal and tar-sands and Oxford Brookes University committing to fully divest it’s £1.6mil endowment from fossil fuels. Research conducted with NUS also uncovered that seven other institutions had divested from coal and tar-sands by investing with divested CCLA (Birmingham City University, Cranfield University, Heriot-Watt University, University of Hertfordshire, University of Portsmouth, University of Westminster and De Montfort University).
Nov 2015 – Two victories with the University of Sheffield committing to fully divest it’s £40mil endowment from fossil fuels and the London School of Economics committing to divest it’s £97.2mil endowment from coal and tar-sands. Both committed to reinvest in renewables.
Jan 2016 – Sheffield Hallam University committed to not invest it’s £0.5mil endowment in fossil fuels.
May 2016 - Three more victories with Southampton University and Newcastle University committing to divest from coal and tar-sands, while Queen Mary University London committed to fully divest it’s endowment. Their combined endowment wealth is £100mil.
June 2016 - Cambridge University commits to divest it’s £5.9bil endowment from coal and tar-sands.
The following Student Unions have passed motions in support of fossil fuel divestment:
- Queen Mary Student Union
- University College London Union
- Edinburgh University Student Association
- Glasgow University Student Representative Council
- School of Oriental and African Studies Student Union
- University of East Anglia Student Union
- King’s College London Student Union
- Cambridge University Student Union
- Oxford University Student Union. Over 20 individual Oxford college ‘common rooms’ have also passed motions supporting divestment
- University of Birmingham Guild of Students
- University of Warwick Student Union
- University of Bristol Union
- Hull University Union
- Leeds Metropolitan University Student Union
- University of Sussex Student Union
- University of Sheffield Student Union
- Newcastle University Student Union
- University of Surrey Student Union
- University of Manchester Student Union
- London School of Economics Students’ Union
- Imperial College Union
- Durham Students’ Union
- University of Portsmouth Students’ Union
- University of Abertay Dundee Students’ Association
- Queens University Belfast Student Union
- Queen Mary University of London
If you’ve recently passed a Fossil Free motion through your Student’s Union, let us know and we’ll add your details above