What you can do during Go Green Week?
Plan your week
From 11-17 February 2013, 100s of schools, colleges and universities will be taking part in Go Green Week. This year, Go Green Week will focus on 3 key activities:
- Climate Pledges - Use your events and stalls to encourage your peers to make simple climate pledges. You can set up your own Go Green Week Challenge (in partnership with DoNation). Prizes for the school, college or uni that take the most carbon-saving actions!
- Sustainability Fund - Wouldn’t it be great if your university helped you set up and run green projects? Use our photo prop to persuade your university to set aside £5 per head into a Sustainability Fund - collect staff and student photos or videos using our petition prop!
- Raise Funds for climate action - From University Climate Challenge to the Big Green Bakeoff, we’ve come up with a wide range of fun, climate-themed activities to raise money for People & Planet’s climate campaign during Go Green Week.
But what will your Go Green Week look like?
People & Planet has suggested themed days and a list of activities to help you structure your Go Green Week programme and mobilise action on climate change. However, if you’ve come up with a great new idea or want to run the activities on different days, then feel free to chop and change. Click on the list below to find out more:
If you’re a student or teacher in a school or college, why not request a People & Planet workshop for Go Green Week? We can come in to help you learn more about climate change and actions you can take to cut the carbon and love your climate.
The Big Launch
Go Green Week will be a chance to launch your Going Greener campaign and showcase the practical transition projects your group has been developing to the wider student & staff community. Rather than just putting on a one-off event, Go Green Week is about creating opportunities for lasting change. Think about how you can use a Go Green Week launch to start an ongoing scheme that will reduce your institution’s emissions or gather wider interest for a project already running.
Create your transition vision
Picture what you would want your university to look like in 2030 and use Go Green Week to present your vision in an inspiring and accessible way. You could:
- Make a film or animation and work with the film society or union TV station to show it
- Write a play or interactive piece of drama and work with the drama society to put it on
- Paint a green graffiti mural
- Work with the photography society to put on a photo exhibition
Think about how you can measure results when planning your activities and don’t forget to record how many people come to your events. Not only will it give you a warm fuzzy feeling of achievement, it helps People & Planet measure the national impact of your campaigns. keep us informed by sending photos, blogs and data to the support office so that we can help to promote and evaluate your success.
People & Planet really rely on the network’s fundraising during Go Green Week in order to run innovative climate change campaigns. From selling cakes, collecting donations, or charging a small sum for your events, our target is for each uni group to raise around £200. DON’T FORGET to donate what you raise to People & Planet using this online form and make sure you say it was raised during Go Green Week.