Fossil Free Careers Branch Motion
A Just Transition is one which puts workers, unions, and organised labour at the heart of decision making. If you are worker at university and part of a union branch, or know someone who is, then you can use our template union branch motion to link up struggles on campus and solidify student-staff solidarity.
1. For a precise definition of the companies we refer to when we say ‘oil, gas, and mining companies’, see the research undertaken by the London Mining Network and People & Planet to identify the campaign targets.
2. For more on the role of the oil, gas, and mining industry on accelerating climate change and environmental breakdown, see:
- The Guardian - Revealed: the 20 firms behind a third of all carbon emissions
- Danwatch - Impacts of copper mining on people and nature
- Pax for Peace - The Dark Side of Coal: Paramilitary Violence in the Mining Region of Cesar, Colombia
- London Mining Network - CUT AND RUN:How Britain's top two mining companies have wrecked ecosystems without being held to account
- Unearthered - Cerro de Pasco: The city built around a mine
- War on Want - A Material Transition: Exploring supply and demand solutions for renewable energy minerals
3. For more on the existing commitments of UCU Congress to supporting a Just Transition, see the Business of the Strategy and Finance Committee 2017 (open session).
4. For more background information on the Fossil Free Careers campaign, see the Fossil Free Careers Website.